The Analogue and the Digital branch
The Analogue branch could take the shape of a combined hotel/ community centre/ museum. A place for people who are interested in learning about and developing counterculture.
The Digital branch could be a website, consisting of departments, for example
- History of counterculture – a library of articles and links
- Present/Future of counterculture – a laboratory
- The Shop – providing a stage for alternative fashion, design, music
It will be a case of organic growth. It may be a while before the opening party for the Analogue branch. Writing the Bureau into fictional existence, at the same time as building it is an option to consider.
- Keep it simple. If it’s complex, aim to serve it as simple as possible
- Focus on the good stuff. Such as experimentation, freedom of expression, curiosity, caring for each other, equality of opportunity, harmony with nature
- Be willing to explore the difficult and controversial stuff. Such as power relations/ manipulation/ violence, competition vs cooperation, the spiritual vs the factual, the exclusive vs the egalitarian, drugs, accessibility vs mythos, the inevitable absorption of counterculture into the mainstream…
- Take a big mind perspective towards technology and innovation: if Buddha was to look at the effects of any given technology or innovation, would he see that it contributes to people’s abilities to be free, happy, comfortable, courageous and caring?